Monday, February 1, 2016

a moment in the shadows

Because I need a little magic in my life today.

I had such great hopes for today. I was excited and quite positive about the start of a new month. February was going to be a new beginning.

But then life said, "Not so fast, Pollyanna!"

I feel like life says this to me a lot. You'd think I'd learn. But, I refuse.

Walt Disney once said,
Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows. Most things are good, and they are the strongest things; but there are evil things too, and you are not doing a child a favor by trying to shield him from reality. The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil.
I love Walt Disney. And I love that quote.

I generally try to ignore the shadows of life. Or at least I try to not let anyone see that sometimes they get to me. I never want to be negative or to let anyone know that my life can be anything but sunshine and rainbows and magic and pixie dust. I am genuinely quite happy and I truly believe that if you keep your face to the sun, the shadows fall behind. I really believe that light will always chase the dark away.

But, the thing is, there are days when the sun isn't shining - no matter how much you look for it. There are days when there is nothing but shadows.

Despite my high hopes for it, today turned out to be one of those days. And all I want to do is run away. I don't want to be a grown up anymore. (Not that I ever did...but some days are better than others.) Today, I am in the shadows. And it's very real.

But, the thing is...even when I am here, in the shadows, I know it won't last. I know the light will come. Sooner or later, it always does and it always will.

So, even though I can't - and shouldn't - pretend that there are no shadows, I can say, with confidence, that the light will come. The shadows will fall away.

Because the good things are truly the strongest things.


Yes, "...even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise." It's true. I know it.

That being said, I'm giving up on today.

If anyone needs me, I'll be curled up in bed, waiting for this particular shadow to pass.

At least until tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment