Tuesday, June 8, 2010

a thousand reasons to smile....

I recently found myself having a bit of a bad day and feeling an overwhelming urge to throw myself a minor pity party. I have some things on my mind and in my life that are what many would consider legitimate concerns and valid reasons for said pity party. In fact, many would say I am entitled to it. However, I decided against that course of action (the steps leading to that decision make up a different story that I will save for another day) and I am all the better for it. Once I made up my mind, I was walking out of my room when a little sign/plaque/decoration? that I have on my bookshelf caught my eye. It says: "When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show it that you have a thousand reasons to smile."

I love this! (Obviously - I bought it...) Seeing it there that day just gave me an extra spring in my step and reminded me that I had made the right decision in turning my back on the pity party and not dwelling on my problems/irritations/stresses. I may have hundreds of reasons to cry...but I also have thousands of reasons to smile.

So, take that, life!!

So, anyways...here goes the beginning of my grateful list...my thousand reasons to smile today....





PENS

How wonderful it is to be able to write! And have it last. In any color or style. Not having to worry about quills and inkwells (as cool as those things are) is quite a blessing. I am constantly making lists, underlining passages, taking notes, doodling, writing letters....how my life is better because of pens! I love them.



EARTH

Home sweet home. There are many, many things I love about our beautiful planet - not the least of which is the fact that it keeps me alive! I am so incredibly grateful for our Earth and its amazing and wonderful uniqueness. Plus, it's just so darn beautiful! How cool is it that I live here!



THUNDERSTORMS

There are few things I like more than an afternoon or evening thunderstorm spent all snuggled up with a good book in front of a window. I love the sounds and the smells and the sights. Beautiful nature!



GOOGLE
I am not a huge fan of modern technology, but, man do I love Google! It makes my life at work easier. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Research has never been more efficient! Plus, they do all the cool Google doodles. Oh, bright, happy Google - how I love you!



AIR QUOTES

What can I say - they make me smile. Use of air quotes never ceases to amuse me!



LIONEL RICHIE

Speaking of amusement....all I need to do to cheer myself up during a particularly trying day is to imagine any of Lionel Richie's album images of the 1980s.




POST-IT NOTES
Another work-related smile inducer. So handy, so colorful, so much better than using a whole sheet of paper that doesn't stick. No messiness or staple holes or need to ruin a whole document with scribbles. I just love them.



GERENUKS
Such a lovely, elegant animal. Love them. :)



TODDLERS LEARNING TO WALK
I love watching a toddler learn to walk. A little unsteady, kind of awkward...and so dang adorable! Plus, their excitement and clapping and obvious pride at making it a ways is just infectious!



GORDON B HINCKLEY

I genuinely love and respect this wonderful man. President of the Church, prophet of the Lord, husband, father, grandfather, tireless servant...and a great sense of humor. President Hinckley was brilliant - and my inspiration. He taught me how to be funny without being sarcastic and strong, sure, direct and uncompromising while still loving and kind. Plus, he was so cute.
Now, that's a real hero.

3 comments:

  1. As usual, great post. I smiled through the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pens, too. I love to have different colors. Your list alone brightened my morning, and I had no idea gerenuks even existed! I will have to let the kids know, they will be amazed!

    Thanks for posting your gratitude. That was fun!

    ReplyDelete